I am a happy homeschoolin’ mama, and longtime internet dabbler. Welcome to my untidy homepage.
Some of my homeschooling inspirations, sources and guides include:
- Attachment parenting
- Unschooling (Home Education Magazine – John Holt – David H. Albert)
- My own Montessori childhood
- Susan Wise Bauer‘s The Well-Trained Mind (in moderation), particularly her Story of the World history and activity books.
- Local homeschooling families and groups.
- And a general enjoyment of my daughter’s company 🙂
- Creative Home Schooling: A Resource Guide for Smart Families by Lisa Rivero
- The Unschooling Handbook : How to Use the Whole World As Your Child’s Classroom by Mary Griffith
- Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers by Gordon Neufeld, PhD. (Attachment parenting beyond the infant-toddler stage.)
Interesting understandings about the nature of nonviolence, learning and motivation, distilled by people who worked with “special-needs” children:
- The works of Maria Montessori
- Teach Your Baby to Read, and others, by Glenn Doman. No “flash cards”. But interesting commands to the mom: Be joyful (if you are having a bad few months, new baby, illness– just stop teaching). Never test (it’s the opposite of teaching). Go like the wind (kids like to be exposed to lots of stuff).
- Kids Beyond Limits by Anat Baniel. Feldenkrais principles of education. Relevant to unschooling.
- Transforming the Difficult Child by Howard Glasser. Relevant to gamification.
- Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor. Positive behaviorism, clearly explained (you can’t punish dolphins) (Based on animals and not human kids, but still relevant.)
On the theme of “What About College?”
- Homeschoolers’ College Admissions Handbook, and others by Cafi Cohen
- What High Schools Don’t Tell You (And Other Parents Don’t Want You to Know) by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross
- Fall 2009 (K)
- Spring 2010 (K)
- Fall 2010 (1st)
- Spring 2011 (1st)
- Fall 2011 (2nd)
- Spring 2012 (2nd)
- Summer 2012 (pre-3rd)
- Fall 2012 (3rd)
- Spring 2013 (3rd)
- Summer 2013 (pre-4th)
- Fall 2013 (4th)
- Spring 2014 (4th)
- Summer 2014 (pre-5th)
- Fall 2014 (5th)
- Spring 2015 (5th)
- Summer 2015 (pre-6th)
- Fall 2015 (6th)
- Spring 2016 (6th)
- Summer 2016 (pre-7th)