Great Fun Children’s School
Fall 2015 Curriculum
Sixth Grade / age 11
Mission: Cultivate academic skills, multicultural awareness, and a joyful resilience, nurturing connections in a community of increasing love and complexity.
- Books-on-tape (cd), daily.
- Independent reading, various.
- Burning Cargo – typing tutor website. Completed c7 certificate.
- Middle School Book Group, Berkeley Public Library, 1hr, 1x/mo. Zero Tolerance by Claudia Mills, Hidden by Helen Frost, American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang.
- Legends of Druidawn online fiction writing group with Miriam Darnell, 1.5 hrs twice a month.
- Berkeley Math Circle, Beginners II level (sixth graders), 1.5 hrs weekly.
- Art of Problem Solving, Volume 1: The Basics. Chapter 1.1-1.4.
- Khan Academy, Algebra I. 23% complete.
- Martin Gardner Halloween Celebration of Mind, Oct 31 2015 at MSRI
- AMC-8 math competition, Nov 18 2015 at BMC.
History & Geography
- Story of the World, Volume IV: The Modern Age, by Susan Wise Bauer, supplemented by library books suggested in the companion Activity Book, and others. Chapters 22-25 (WWI and aftermath).
- A History of US, Book Nine: 1918-1945 War, Peace, and All That Jazz; and Book Ten: 1945-2011 All the People by Joy Hakim (audiobook)
- iCivics interactive website
Science & Engineering
- Science Friday radio broadcasts, weekly.
- Expanding Your Horizons at UOP, Oct 10, 2015
- Chemistry with chemist neighbor Steve, four sessions.
- Introductory Spanish conversation with neighbor Bethany, 1x/wk, two months.
- Esperanto language on DuoLingo app, to level 6.
- Free doodling, misc crafts (at church, etc). Nature Journaling classes with John Muir Laws, 1x/mo. Origami class with Margo Wecksler, 1x/mo.
- Improv Theater with Geri Engberg, 2 hrs, 1x/week.
- East Bay Mini Maker Faire, Park Day School in Oakland, Oct 18, 2015, all day
Values, Religion, & Character
- Weekly Sunday school at Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists (Riddle and Mystery theology/philosophy “Big Questions” program)
- Destiny Arts Center. West African Dance with Afia Thompson, 1 hr, 2x/week. Hip Hop Dance with Rashidi Omari, 1 hr, 2x/week.
- UC Village Recreation Center. Gymnastics with coach Matt Schwey, 1 hr, 1x/week. Aerial Arts with with teacher Shaley Borgen, 1 hr, 1x/week.
- Allegro Youth Beginning Ballroom (competitive) with Olga Sukachov, 1 hr, 1x/week.
Friends! Attachment parenting. Classes and group activities, structured and unstructured, same-age and multi-age, cousins, groupmates and neighbors. ACHC housing cooperative, BFUU religious congregation. GHOTO Homeschoolers group (weekly).