Great Fun Children’s School
Spring 2013 Curriculum
Third Grade / age 8
Mission: Cultivate academic skills, multicultural awareness, and a joyful resilience, nurturing connections in a community of increasing love and complexity.
- Books-on-tape (cd), daily. The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan (read by Robert Whitfield), Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes, Peter Pan by J.M.Barrie, Physik, Queste, Syren (Septimus Heap, #3, #4, #5) by Angie Sage, The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2) by John Stephens, The Unusual Suspects, The Problem Child (Sisters Grimm #2, #3) by Michael Buckley, The Penderwicks at Point Mouette by Jeanne Birdsall, The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare, The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, Mr. Revere and I by Robert Lawson, Johnny Tremain by Esther Hoskins Forbes, Frindle, Lost & Found, Room One, We the Children, The Whites of Their Eyes, and Fear Itself, by Andrew Clements, Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting, Felicity: An American Girl (six book collection) by Valerie Tripp, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, and The Magician’s Nephew (The Chronicles of Narnia, #1, #2, #3) by C. S. Lewis, Jimmy McGee by Eleanor Estes, Calling on Dragons (The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3) by Patricia C. Wrede, The Red Pyramid, The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, #1, #2), and The 39 Clues by Rick Riordan, The Book of Three, Black Cauldron (Chronicles of Prydain, #1, #2) by Lloyd Alexander, and others.
- Independent reading: Tris’s Book (Circle of Magic, #2) by Tamara Pierce; Talking to Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (ch.1-4)
- Phonics Pathways by Dolores G. Hiskes. (For spelling), pp.126-144.
- Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer, Workbook Level Two (second grade), Lessons 14-end.
- Classes at QuantumCamp with Jay Levin: Shel’s World (Shel Silverstein, grades 3-4, 2hrs/wk, 10 weeks), A Mid-Summer Night (Shakespeare, grades 5-6, 2hrs/wk, 10 weeks)
- Online (WizIQ) class for gifted homeschool girls: Vocab Madness with Suki Wessling, 1 hr/wk, Jan 23-Apr 29.
- Singapore Math, CA Standards Edition, 5B, page 43-end.
- Beast Academy, 3A, p 87-end; 3B, chapters 4-5.
- Building Thinking Skills, Level 2 (grades 4-6), Chapters 4-5, by The Critical Thinking Co.
- Berkeley Math Circle, Elementary II (grades 3 & 4), one hour/week.
- Classes at QuantumCamp with Lisa Bishop: Musical Math, Math Games (grades 5-6, 2hrs/wk, 10 weeks each)
- Online class with Cleo Borac at Goods of the Mind: Problem Solving Seminar Grades 3-4, one hr/wk, 10 weeks; in preparation for annual international Math Kangaroo contest (March 21. Score: 42nd percentile national).
- Intro to basic algebra via DragonBox app on iPad
- Pi Day fun: 25th Annual Pi Day Parade at the Exploratorium, Ask a Scientist Pi Day Puzzle Party led by Wes Carroll in San Francisco.
- Computer Literacy: Weekly classes in MIT Scratch at The Museum of Arts and Digital Entertainment (MADE). Won Honorable Mention in the Google Blockly Turtle Graphics Contest, May 2013. Online video tutorials with Kodu Game Lab.
History & Geography
- Story of the World, Volume III: Early Modern Times, by Susan Wise Bauer, supplemented by library books suggested in the companion Activity Book. Chapters 19-27.
- Interactive Science for Inquiring Minds, Lower Secondary, (grade 7), Panpac Education (singaporemath.com). Volume B, chapters 20-end . (Reading/exposure/textbook only, no labs.)
- Life of Fred: Elementary Physics; Life of Fred: Biology (ch 1-36), by Stanley Schmidt. Reading/exposure only, no tests.
- Science chapters of What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
- 4-H Project classes: Chemistry 1x/mo, Junior Master Gardening 1x/mo, Sausal Creek Restoration Environmental Stewardship 1x/mo.
- Mandarin Chinese: focus on reading and writing characters. 3-4 characters/week. My First Chinese Words (BetterChinese.com), lessons 10- . Also some Skitter, My First Chinese Words Lessons 13-17 online, and other online activities.
- Free doodling, misc crafts (at church, etc). Some how to draw books from library. Musical Math class at QuantumCamp. Fine Arts chapters of What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
- Bay Area Maker Faire, one day as Maker Corps volunteer staff and one day as attendee, San Mateo, May 16-19 2013.
Values, Religion, & Character
- Weekly Sunday school at Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists.
- Soccer with Albany Berkeley Soccer Club. Winter season, Jan-Mar, Futsol 1x/week. Spring season, 3x/week, Apr-May.
- Gymnastics at UC Village Rec Center, 1x/week.
Friends! Attachment parenting. Classes and group activities, structured and unstructured, same-age and multi-age, cousins, groupmates and neighbors. ACHC housing cooperative, BFUU religious congregation. Weekly Park Day with SFBUN and Homegrown Kids at local playgrounds; also active in BAGHS (2x/mo), Girl Scouts (2x/mo), and East Hills 4-H (4x/mo).