Great Fun Children’s School
Spring 2016 Curriculum
Sixth Grade / age 11
Mission: Cultivate academic skills, multicultural awareness, and a joyful resilience, nurturing connections in a community of increasing love and complexity.
- Books-on-tape (cd), daily.
- Independent reading, various. Mr. Lemoncello’s Library Olympics by Chris Grabenstein. Really Big Numbers by Richard Evan Schwartz. Steve Jobs: genius by design by Jason Quinn. Barefoot Gen vol 1-5. Gandhi: My Life is My Message by Jason Quinn. March by John Lewis.
- Professor Michael D.C. Drout – Modern Scholar lecture series. From here to infinity: an exploration of science fiction literature. Also Rings, swords, and monsters: exploring fantasy literature.
- Burning Cargo – typing tutor website. Completed 80% of C8 level.
- Middle School Book Group, Berkeley Public Library, 1hr, 1x/mo. The Notorious Benedict Arnold by Steve Sheinkin. American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang. How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. Hidden by Helen Frost. Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal by Margarita Engle.
- Legends of Druidawn online fiction writing group with Miriam Darnell, 1.5 hrs twice a month, Jan-Feb.
- Sentence Composing for Elementary School by Don and Jenny Killgallon, p.1-64.
- Berkeley Math Circle, Beginners II level (sixth graders), 1.5 hrs weekly.
- Khan Academy, sixth grade math, completed.
- Math Kangaroo competition, March 17 2016.
History & Geography
- Story of the World, Volume IV: The Modern Age, by Susan Wise Bauer, supplemented by library books suggested in the companion Activity Book, and others. Chapters 25-32 (WWII and aftermath).
Science & Engineering
- Weekly computer club / MIT Scratch classes at The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment (starting Feb 6, after a year (since 3/7/2015) of being closed for transition.)
- Science Friday radio broadcasts, weekly.
- UCBerkeley SWE Expanding Your Horizons event, March 12, SWE Science Saturdays, March 5.
- PBS Nova Labs online: Evolution; RNA; Cybersecurity
- Esperanto language on DuoLingo app, level 6 – 8.
- Nature Journaling classes with John Muir Laws, 1x/mo. Origami class with Margo Wecksler, 1x/mo.
- Improv Theater with Geri Engberg, 2 hrs, 1x/week.
- Bay Area Maker Faire volunteer
Values, Religion, & Character
- Weekly Sunday school at Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists (Riddle and Mystery theology/philosophy “Big Questions” program)
- Destiny Arts Center. Hip Hop Dance with Mika Lemoine, 1 hr, 2x/week. West African Dance with Afia Thompson, 1 hr, 2x/week.
- UC Village Recreation Center. Aerial Arts with with teacher Shaley Borgen, 1 hr, 1x/week.
- Allegro Youth Beginning Ballroom (competitive) with Olga & Dima Sukachov, 1 hr, 1x/week.
Friends! Attachment parenting. Classes and group activities, structured and unstructured, same-age and multi-age, cousins, groupmates and neighbors. ACHC housing cooperative, BFUU religious congregation. GHOTO Homeschoolers group (weekly).