Great Fun Children’s School
Summer 2014 Curriculum
pre-Fifth Grade / age 9
Mission: Cultivate academic skills, multicultural awareness, and a joyful resilience, nurturing connections in a community of increasing love and complexity.
- Books-on-tape (cd), daily. The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart, The Mayor of Central Park by Avi, Then There Were Five by Elizabeth Enright, Trailblazers: African Americans in the California Gold Rush by Awele Makeba, The Spiderwick Chronicles (vol.1) by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black, Whales on Stilts by M.T. Anderson, Whittington by Alan Armstrong, Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer, Maniac Magee, Eggs, Hokey Pokey by Jerry Spinelli, The Good Dog, The Christmas Rat by Avi, The Midwife’s Apprentice by Karen Cushman, The Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars, The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
- Independent reading: The Scarlet Macaw Scandal (Nancy Drew: All New Girl Detective #8) by Carolyn Keene, Philippa Fisher’s Fairy Godsister by Liz Kessler, Planet Earth by Simon Basher, Fooled You: Fakes and Hoaxes Through the Years by Elaine Pascoe, A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine, Once Upon a Crime (The Sisters Grimm Book 4) by Michael Buckley, The Missing Golden Ticket and Other Splendiferous Secrets by Roald Dahl, Lunch Lady comix series by Jarrett J. Krosoczka, Yotsuba manga series, Vol. 1-5, by Kiyohiko Azuma
- A History of the English Language (Audible Audio /The Modern Scholar) lecture series by Prof. Michael D.C. Drout
- Singapore Math: Discovering Mathematics Common Core, 7A (sections 5.2-5.3, linear equations)
History & Geography
- Story of the World, Volume III: Early Modern Times, by Susan Wise Bauer, supplemented by library books suggested in the companion Activity Book, and others. Chapters 40-42/end.
- A History of US, Book Four: The New Nation by Joy Hakim (audiobooks)
- Academic Talent Development Program (UC Berkeley Graduate School of Education): “The Physics of Motion and Force“, 3-week half-day summer camp
- Exploratorium, ~1x/mo. Science Friday radio broadcasts. What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know, by E.D. Hirsch Jr. , science chapter.
- Weekly classes in MIT Scratch at The Museum of Arts and Digital Entertainment (MADE). Also classes in Twine (interactive fiction game engine) and plus misc (eg Unity game engine)
- Burning Cargo – typing game. Completed C1 certificate.
- Spanish: DuoLingo.com lessons
- Free doodling, misc crafts (at church, etc). Nature Journaling classes with John Muir Laws, 1x/mo. Origami class with Margo Wecksler, 1x/mo.
- Destiny Arts camp: five days of martial arts, hiphop dance, theater, visual arts, performance, community-building, violence prevention training
Values, Religion, & Character
- Weekly Sunday school at Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists (Circle of Trees program). Five-day Friends of God camp at St. Gregory’s Episcopal in San Francisco, with Rev. Sylvia Miller-Mutia.
- Soccer, Albany Berkeley Soccer Club, Galaxy team, 1x/wk. Swimming lessons at City of Berkeley pool, 8 sessions, passed Red Cross Level 3 test.
Social Friends! Attachment parenting. Classes and group activities, structured and unstructured, same-age and multi-age, cousins, groupmates and neighbors. ACHC housing cooperative, BFUU religious congregation. Weekly Park Day with SFBUN and Homegrown Kids at local playgrounds; also active in BAGHS (2x/mo), Girl Scouts (2x/mo), and East Hills 4-H (3x/mo).