Great Fun Children’s School
Summer 2015 Curriculum
Pre-Sixth Grade / age 10
Mission: Cultivate academic skills, multicultural awareness, and a joyful resilience, nurturing connections in a community of increasing love and complexity.
- Books-on-tape (cd), daily.
- Independent reading: The Everafter War (The Sisters Grimm, Book 7), by Michael Buckley. Magic marks the spot by Caroline Carlson.
- A way with words: writing, rhetoric, and the art of persuasion. Recorded Books Modern Scholar program. 14 lectures by Professor Michael D. C. Drout.
- Burning Cargo – typing tutor website. Completed c6 certificate
- Berkeley Math Circle summer camp, Intermediate I (6th-7th grade) level. Twelve half-days. Algebra, Geometry, Contest Problems.
- Singapore Math: Discovering Mathematics Common Core, 7A (sections 8.2-8.5/end)
History & Geography
- Story of the World, Volume IV: The Modern Age, by Susan Wise Bauer, supplemented by library books suggested in the companion Activity Book, and others. Chapters 20-21 (WWI, etc).
Science & Engineering
- UC Berkeley ATDP ED3558 The Physics of Motion and Force. Twelve half days plus homework.
- Science Friday radio broadcasts, weekly.
- The MADE Scratch day and filming. Interview. Kickstarter.
- DuoLingo Spanish, level 10; Esperanto, Level 1-6.
- Free doodling, misc crafts (at church, etc). Nature Journaling classes with John Muir Laws, 1x/mo. Origami class with Margo Wecksler, 1x/mo.
Values, Religion, & Character
- Weekly Sunday school at Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists (Gather the Spirit water and justice program)
- Camp Destiny, one week.
Friends! Attachment parenting. Classes and group activities, structured and unstructured, same-age and multi-age, cousins, groupmates and neighbors. ACHC housing cooperative, BFUU religious congregation. GHOTO Homeschoolers group (weekly).