Great Fun Children’s School
Summer 2016 Curriculum
Pre-Seventh Grade / age 11
Mission: Cultivate academic skills, multicultural awareness, and a joyful resilience, nurturing connections in a community of increasing love and complexity.
- Books-on-tape (cd), daily.
- Independent reading, various. Song of the Lioness quartet by Tamora Pierce.
- Berkeley Math Circle, summer camp, Intermediate I.
- UC Berkeley ATDP summer camp, “ED3662: The Baker Street Irregulars” – logic puzzles and problem-solving.
- The Great Courses: Economics with Professor Timothy Taylor, v.1 (8 lectures)
History & Geography
- Story of the World, Volume IV: The Modern Age, by Susan Wise Bauer, Chapters 33-34. Also March civil rights history by Congressman John Lewis.
Science & Engineering
- Weekly computer club / MIT Scratch classes at The Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment
- Science Friday radio broadcasts, weekly.
- Raising Anise Swallowtail caterpillars
- Esperanto language on DuoLingo app, level 8.
Values, Religion, & Character
- Attendance at Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists
- Allegro Youth Beginning Ballroom (competitive) with Olga & Dima Sukachov, 1 hr, 1x/week.
Friends! Attachment parenting. Classes and group activities, structured and unstructured, same-age and multi-age, cousins, groupmates and neighbors. ACHC housing cooperative, BFUU religious congregation. GHOTO Homeschoolers group (weekly).